Good evening Nottingham! These were the unforgettable opening words of four-piece Bristol band Heavy Lungs. Loud enough to provide earplugs before the gig even begins, the peaceful fairy lights of Voodoo Daddy’s showroom, contained within a wooden birdcage, seemed almost absurd in their peacefulness.

As soon as the set began, the crowd was swamped in the frenetic energy of each song, the collisions of each instrument sending the front row of fans into a whirligig of dancing and headbanging. Intersected by the upturning of microphones, the lead singer, Danny Nedalko found every position possible to sing in, lying across the stage, duetting with the drummer, and serenading the crowd, before making the venue his stage, shouting choruses from every corner of the room his microphone could reach. As the set progressed, the lead singer became more reminiscent of a young Alex Turner.

Musically, my highlights included a shirtless rendition of (A Bit of a Birthday), and the closing jam session, a ten-minute sea of guitar tones bound to the thrash of the drummer, which spotlighted the connection between every member, culminating in nothing short of a roaring melodic bludgeoning that I would love to see a second time. Thankfully, in the wake of the release of their newest EP Measure, there is more Heavy Lungs music to enjoy than ever.