HESA reveals state school admissions

New data released by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) has showed some changes in the universities accepting a disproportionate number of private school students.

The figures show that almost 90 percent of full-time undergraduates studying at higher institutions in the UK are state school entrants. Having noted this, the proportion of students coming from areas where higher education attendance is low fell last year from 11.4 per cent to 11.3 per cent.

According to the most recent statistics, 90.4 percent of students attending the University of East Anglia attended a state school.

This makes UEA one of the universities who have taken in a large amount of state school pupils. Oxford University has taken in a record amount of state school students, but still have the lowest proportion of state school entrants with 55.7 per cent.

The new figures have seen Cambridge increase state school admissions, and now having only the ninth most privately educated intake.

The universities of Bristol, Durham, St Andrews and the Royal Academy of Music also have highly privately educated cohorts.

Dr Sam Lucy, Cambridge’s director of admissions, said that despite ideas suggesting otherwise, the university was accepting and “nothing like the rumours or typical media stories.”

“Myths persist, but staff and students are breaking through them,” she said.

The Independent Schools Council estimates the independent sector educates just 6.5 percent of school children in the UK, with 93 percent of all pupils educated in state schools.

UEA has also taken in a smaller number of international students in the last intake, with over 80 percent of pupils accepted from the UK

14/02/2017

bethpapworth

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3