Sport, Sports clubs

High hopes for UEA Cricket

The 2014 summer of cricket may have been one to forget for the English national side, but this certainly was not the case for UEA Cricket Club. Following a strong influx of freshers in the first semester of last year, there was a growing sense of optimism as the season drew ever closer. This was reinforced further by how well the side competed during the winter campaign, and by our comprehensive victory over our fiercest rivals, the University of Essex, at Derby Day.

Our season commenced in late April with a friendly against the University of Leicester at Colney Lane. After Leicester posted a total of 132/9 from their 40 overs, we managed to hold our nerve to come away with a one-wicket victory. Our first competitive fixture came against Oxford Brookes and after an obdurate team batting display which resulted in a score of 164/7 from our 50 overs, it was our bowlers who earned all the accolades as they dismissed our opponents for 120. Against Bedfordshire, the game was abandoned as we closed in on a win, but we did emerge triumphant in our away match at the University of Nottingham.

We then faced Leicester once more, this time in our BUCS League, and we produced one of the best team performances that I have been involved in. After bowling Leicester out for 201, we found ourselves in trouble at 18/2. However, the team displayed incredible determination to complete a three-wicket win in the penultimate over. Our performance in our three completed BUCS fixtures saw UEA CC secure second place in our division, with just two points separating us from Oxford Brookes, who played two games more.

So, after just missing out on promotion last summer, we are eager to go one better this year! We cater for cricketers of all abilities and have two teams that compete in both BUCS indoor and outdoor leagues. Training sessions take place twice a week in the SportsPark on Monday (16:20-18:00) and Friday (13:40-15:40), and we are coached by Norfolk all-rounder, Luke Caswell. We also have excellent socials that range from post-match drinks and cricket curries to LCR nights and Australian beach parties!

The 2014-15 campaign has the potential to be an extremely momentous one for the club and for all of its members, and we hope that you join us for what could be a very special season!

14/10/2014

glennwheeler

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
    1
    2
    3