Home of the Wonderful

Home of the Bun-derful

Concrete writers of days gone by have described the campus bunny colony as ‘the unofficial mascot of UEA’, and it is difficult to argue with this idea. For so many students, walking across campus and seeing our furry friends roaming alongside them is a really positive element of the university experience. When I was a first year (this makes me feel very old!) coming back to my accommodation from the LCR or library was always made better when a rabbit crossed my path. There’s something almost lucky about it, as if you are guaranteed to have a better day when you’ve seen them- there is probably some positive reinforcement in there somewhere, but it doesn’t change the fact that sharing our campus with so many bunnies is a comfort to so many. 

Seeing so much nature and life in such close proximity to my front door also helped me to settle quicker. I come from a small town, quite a way away from Norwich, but I’ve always been surrounded by farmland and open green spaces where it wasn’t uncommon to see rabbits and other animals pottering around throughout the year. For me, Norwich was a much bigger and busier environment than I was used to, so having these little corners of campus which felt like home was a huge benefit. Their positive impact on the ecosystem at UEA and more widely in East Anglia is not to be sniffed at either, so I hope that the presence of the rabbit colony on campus will continue to be a high point for students in generations to come- just don’t believe the stories about what happens if you take one into the bar: it isn’t true and you will get in trouble!

08/02/2022

Emily Kelly

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930