US Election: Global

How do other countries see the American elections?

There are few national elections whose results will have as serious international ramifications, both politically and publicly, as the USA. As Americans head to the ballot box, political actors from around the globe are watching eagerly to determine how the stage is set for the next four years. 

Relations between the USA and China have reached a low point under the Trump administration: the Coronavirus crisis has provided specific evidence of this, with the President’s consistent references to ‘the Chinese virus’, alongside an ever-escalating trade war between the two nations.  Whilst the Chinese government has not officially declared a stance on the election, it is believed that they find Trump too unpredictable, and would therefore support a Biden victory, despite his criticisms of the nation’s treatment of the Uighur population. 

The vast majority of Mexican commentators would prefer a Biden victory. Much of the Trump presidency has been spent attacking Mexican ‘immigrants’ and ‘criminals’ in the press, the promise to ‘build a wall’ to reduce migration between the two countries and damaging policies of separating children from their parents. A Biden win this November would see a reversal of these, alongside additional spending to improve existing border security provision. It may lead to a continuation of the DACA programme, two-thirds of the beneficiaries of which are from Mexico. President Trump has attempted to axe the programme numerous times, so it is likely that the citizens would support Biden. However, Trump has been warmly received by the Mexican President, Obrador, during his time in office, following the signing of the US-Mexico-Canada Trade Agreement, an updated version of NAFTA, so it may be that politicians are more open to him winning a second term in office. 

Naturally, Trump’s divisive nature is a common thread within discussions of this election. In Somalia, the USA is seen as an ally, with America recently providing support in the fight against militant groups and reopening their embassy in Mogadishu within the last year, indicating a strengthening bond between the two nations. However, Trump himself has come under fire due to comments made about Somalia in a bid to attack a Democratic opponent, Representative Ilhan Omar. With Biden’s promise to end the Travel Ban, which restricts freedom of movement into the USA from a number of majority-Muslim countries, it may be that he poses the better option for Somalian people. 

The vast majority of the British public dislike Trump, with less than 20% indicating that they trust him to do the right thing. However, as Brexit looms and the government seeks as many independent trade deals as possible, the ‘special relationship’ is arguably more important than ever, something which may not come as naturally from Joe Biden. As a strong supporter of the EU, and especially Ireland, it appears as though Biden may be more critical of the current government’s approach to leaving the EU, making Trump the preferred candidate. 

03/11/2020

Emily Kelly