TV

How streaming services have redefined television

Streaming services are the new way to watch television. Streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ have become so popular due to the fact you are able to binge watch most series. Therefore, people are able to continue watching the series without having to wait a week for the next episode.

Additionally, streaming services offer a range of genres of tv shows at any time. Live television has scheduled shows at certain times, so audiences are restricted to what they are able to watch during the day and evening. With a streaming service, we have complete freedom. Furthermore, we are able to access tv shows of different languages and shows featuring more diverse casting are being brought to the spotlight.

We are able to access older shows that may not be accessible on television, thus enabling nostalgic elements. For example, ‘Friends’ and ‘Only Fools and Horses’ are long running tv shows which we are now able to access and binge on Netflix.

The cancellation of Disney Channel means that Disney+ will likely start getting more audiences buying subscriptions. Since Disney has now removed their films and shows off of other services, this will entice people into buying a subscription. Shows such as ‘Hannah Montana’, and ‘Wizards of Waverly Place’, will no longer be available to view on TV which will affect younger audiences who tune into Disney Channel, therefore, parents may be enticed to another streaming service subscription. Disney+ also benefits from older audiences who may love the Disney classics, Marvel, Star Wars etc.

In addition to new streaming services, VPNs are also available where audiences are not able to tune into other countries’ streaming services. For example, having a VPN allows some audiences to tune into American Netflix, as other countries will have different varieties of genres and different languages allowing audiences to choose what they tune into.

Streaming services seem to be a cheaper option for audiences as well. Instead of paying for a tv licence of £157.50, streaming services look a lot more appealing in terms of cost. However, services such as BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub require a TV licence to be able to use their catch-up service. So, depending on if audiences would want to watch more soap operas, streaming services such as Netflix and so on, can offer a cheaper alternative for television.

Personally, I use streaming services more than watching scheduled television. This is due to the fact that I am able to watch on-the-go, as long as I have an internet connection. I’m able to watch as many episodes as I wish; I’m sure everyone can relate to watching a series in a day or within the week. With streaming services, we are often able to binge the whole series, which I think is what appeals to me; we don’t have to wait every week for the next episode. However, I feel there comes a time when you run out of things to watch once you have binged all the series and watched most films, so you can end up watching the same shows over and over. It’s certainly beneficial to have more than one streaming service that offers different content. 

13/10/2020

Caitlin Telford