Featured Posts, Features

How to avoid blowing your student loan

The student lifestyle is great, isn’t it? We’re young, carefree and know how to have a good time. There’s only one small catch: most of the time, we’re broke.

Avoid blowing your student loan

However, with Concrete’s handy money-saving tips, you can save money and keep in the black until the end of term.

1. Invest in a bike
Pride of place at the top of the list is good old fashioned cycling! This may perhaps be a big expense to begin with, but it will pay off in the long run. Public transport is costly, and, whilst it may not seem like much at the time, bus fares soon add up through the year. Who knows, you could be the next Sir Chris Hoy or Victoria Pendleton!

2. Make packed lunches
Buying food on campus every day is an added expense you don’t need. Make and bring your own sandwiches; just don’t eat them in lectures!

3. Always share taxis
When you’re going on a night out in the city or visiting someone else’s student digs, always share a taxi. With a little help from your friends, a £10 taxi ride can easily be taken down to £2.50.

4. Buy second-hand books
There’s no excuse not to buy second-hand. Used books can be found anywhere, from Amazon to eBay, and even on Facebook.

5. Buy supermarket’s own brands
Instead of buying big brands on your weekly shop, go for Tesco’s own brand. It will taste exactly the same and cost you half the price.

6. Make a shopping list
A trip to the supermarket without a list is a surefire way to load your trolley with impulse buys. Before you head to the shops, sit down and plan out what you’re going to eat for the next week.

7. Buy in bulk
Bulk buying costs less than buying single products and can cut down on how many times you need to visit the supermarket in a month, helping you save both time and money.

8. Buy toiletries from Wilkinson or Savers
These shops are great for saving money. You can find your favourite shampoo brands, makeup and deodorants for half the price of leading high street stores.

9. Look out for bar offers
When you go out on a night out in Norwich, look around beforehand for any bar offers or deals, instead of just going where everyone else is. You might even bag yourself a free cocktail.

10. Pre-lash
Drinks out in bars and clubs are expensive, so drinking before you go out with friends is a money saver. Just do it responsibly!
The ultimate guide

23/10/2012

catherinesmith

April 2021
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930