How To Be Part Of The Film Community This Year

If you love film, then you’re in the right place! UEA has multiple film-related societies suited for any taste – including Cinema Society, Bad Film Society, Film-Making Society, Disney Society and many more! It is the perfect chance to not only meet new people and make new friends, but to watch movies and discuss them with other like-minded people who might also believe that Shrek 2 is the best in the franchise! 

I joined Disney Society in my first year and highly enjoyed it – I ended up meeting a friend there, who I am still really close with today. Of course we saw the newest Disney releases in the cinema, but the society also held really entertaining quiz nights, get-togethers and socials that I enjoyed a lot (there was some spark about going to Disneyland Paris, too, but COVID spoiled that!)

If you want to be in the movie instead of watching the movie, then Film-Making Society is the place for you. The society makes smaller short films, and then bands together to put on a big film every year. At the moment, they are currently in the process of making a film called Isolationships, a film documenting a group of people and how their relationships have developed, been tested, and strengthened by lockdowns.

There are also many cinemas to visit in Norwich, perfect for a rainy day or to catch the latest blockbuster. There are two big chain cinemas: the Odeon, located on Riverside, which has perfect popcorn, and Vue Cinema in Castle Quarter, which does great milkshakes!

For those of you wanting to see something a little different, I would recommend Cinema City, located on St Andrews Street – in my first year at UEA I visited this independent cinema frequently. Here they do viewings of fewer mainstream films and instead focus on more alternative showings – I went to see Studio Ghibli’s Howl’s Moving Castle, for example. They screen Anime films, old films, foreign films, as well as staged West End musicals, plays and ballets.

There’s something for every film-lover in Norwich, I hope you find your genre!  

14/09/2021

Hamilton Brown

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930