It may be unpleasantly chilly as we fight our way through the winter months, and there has been a lot of snow dusting the land recently, but Mother Nature has given inspiration for many artworks and nails are the perfect canvas to incorporate her snow-white gift into fashion.
Here are a few steps to show you how to make a simple, yet adorable, snowflake design to accessorise your nails in this chilly weather.
You will need a light base colour, Barry M’s mint is being used here, but you can use other shades of light green, blue or pink (any of the pale/pastel colours you’ve got). A clear sparkle/glitter nail polish for shimmering effect. Then you will need a white nail art deco polish (these are the long thin brush nail polishes to make designs); model own do a nail art pen you can get from Superdrug or Boots for £6, however you can buy them quite cheaply online (or you can try making your own; be resourceful with your liquid eyeliner brush!)
You will also need some dotting tool which you can, again, buy online, from beauty stores or you can make your own by using a bobby pin or a ball point pen. And finally, of course, your favourite clear top coat.
- Apply your base coat, making sure to re-apply with these light colour so that they come out looking bolder, and leave to dry (you know the drill).
- Taking your white art deco polish, it’s time to create your snowflake. Form a horizontal line on the nail, anywhere you fancy, followed by an ‘X’ shape with two diagonal lines across your first horizontal line, until it looks a 6 point star.
- Continuing with the snowflake design, get some paper to apply a drop of white nail polish to use for dotting your nails. Using your dotting tool (or bobby pin/ ball point pen) at the end of each of the lines of your 6 point star dot them.
- Still using your dotting tools create more dots around your snowflake, all different sizes, to make it appear as if snowflakes are falling from afar.
- Apply your favourite top coat for keeps.