Fashion, Featured Posts

This season’s knitwear trend

It’s autumn: time for hot chocolate, Christmas adverts plaguing the TV and comfy, warm, snuggle-on-the-sofa knitwear.

From knitted skirts, to an over-sized boyfriend jumper, to scarves and snoods, knitwear is back in the high street. The rain is coming, it’s time for us to embrace the chill and wrap up in cable knit.

London Fashion Week revealed that roll-neck, chunky jumpers will be at a forefront this season. Both Mary Katrantzou and Christopher Kane featured thick roll-necks, chasing away winter blues with splashes of colour; Katrantzou with gentle pastel and Kane with garish red, giving a classic a new twist.

These explosions of colour can be seen all over the high street:

• H&M have both pastel and brightly coloured jumpers this season, available to those on a budget.
  • Topshop Unique cashed in on an existing trend, replacing the traditional check print with the popular high street cross pattern.
  • In Paris, A. F Vandevorst covered models’ faces with thick scarves. I wouldn’t recommend wrapping up to that extent though.

Snoods are back with a bang too, but be careful to try before you buy – this season’s Primark offerings may try and strangle you.

Stick to simple, versatile colours such as grey, navy or burgundy. Don’t be afraid of layering your snood, or chunky scarf, over your heavy jumper. Lay off the knitted skirt though, you don’t want to go overboard.

The aforementioned knitted skirt can be worn with a scarf or snood, so long as you steer clear of Ugg boots and keep your top-half light.

Over-sized jumpers were a big hit on the catwalks this season, a look the high street has been quick to replicate.

For a more original take, borrow your boyfriend’s jumper, or head to Topman. Just make sure that cute boy in your seminar doesn’t have the same one. Pair with leggings or shorts to balance the look and avoid appearing bulky.

Prints of cats, polar bears and the unofficial UEA mascot, the rabbit, are littered all over the high street. As cute as they are, steer clear of Topshop, Primark or H&M, unless you want to stumble across 20 look-a-likes in the Square.

If you want to go truly original, knit your own, or get your granny to. Failing that, head to the vintage shops in the Norwich Lanes to grab yourself a unique jumper. Don’t expect cute dog motifs; grandad jumpers and crazy patterns are what you’ll find.

Just like jumpers, the bigger the better this season. Either keep it simple, grey or cream, or go crazy with colour and pattern – there is no middle ground for this trend.

Embrace the chunky, the garish and don’t be afraid to layer.

16/11/2012

ellasharp

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031