It’s Saturday morning. Warmed from the streaming sun, I’ve woken up, squished in a tent with my best friends. I go outside and take a breath of that sweet summer air. As I look at the rainbow of tents stretching for miles in-front of me, glitter falls from my cheekbones to the floor. I smile as the sun kisses my face and in the distance I can hear the headliner for tonight, Paul McCartney, warming up on the Pyramid stage. Glastonbury – the festival I’ve dreamt about my entire life. I am finally here.

And then I wake up, thrown into the bleak reality of another day in lockdown. It’s safe to say that many tears were shed when I found out Glastonbury was going to be cancelled this year. After going through the euphoria of finally getting tickets, the building excitement, and the much anticipated line-up announcement, for it to be cancelled was devastating. As well as naturally being excited for the headliners, Paul McCartney and the iconic Diana Ross, I was also longing to see Glass Animals, Noel Gallagher, Cage The Elephant, Clairo, Fontaines D.C., FKA Twigs, Burna Boy, Greentea Peng, and of course… Lana Del Rey, to name a few! 

Being my local festival, it’s also become a bit of an annual tradition that my friends and I go to Truck Festival, and this would have been my fourth year going. The line-up was arguably its best one to date, including the likes of Bombay Bicycle Club, Blossoms, DMA’S, Sports team, and Gengahr (who quickly became one of my favourite artists after discovering their dreamy vocals at Wild Paths back in October). 

I think the thing I will miss most about music festivals this summer is the oneness that encompasses them. There’s a sense of such beautiful unity about festivals, where everyone leaves the structures of everyday life behind and lives for every moment. You become the best of friends with otherwise strangers in crowds and campsites, singing the lyrics to your favourite artists along with thousands of other people. It unites everyone for the same reason – their love of music. I also believe that, if anything is to come of this, it will only intensify the feelings of unity within festivals in the future. During this lockdown period, many are missing it every day: necessary intimacy with all the people we love, as well as live music. Whilst Spotify playlists and livestreams of artists are certainly filling a void, live music is an experience that can’t be replicated online. Once this is over, may we support and appreciate our local festivals and venues more than ever before!

1 COMMENT