In the past, Scandinavian style has been associated with minimalism and a muted colour palette, but that couldn’t be further from what the fashion girls and bloggers are wearing on the streets of Copenhagen and Stockholm right now. Unafraid of colour, big sleeves and in perfectly tailored jackets, the Scandi way of dressing brings some colour and eccentricity to the street style scene and has captured the eyes of editors and style fanatics worldwide. Helped by the surge in popularity of Scandinavian brands like Ganni, Stine Goya and Cecilie Bahnsen, Copehnagen fashion week is arguably becoming just as important as Milan or Paris, with insiders scrambling to see how Scandi fashion girls are wearing the latest trends. 

More than just their clothing style, over the last few years there has been a fixation on all aspects of their aesthetics, from Nordic interiors to wanting to adopt the Danish concept of cosy living, aka hygge, in order to replicate their laid-back lifestyles. To get their look on a budget, look to some of the biggest high street brands that have Scandinavian roots, from Arket, to Monki to & Other Stories. 

Unlike the simple beige and navy colour palettes synonymous with the French wardrobe, there is no holding back in colour here, as the colder climates are combated with pops of fuchsia, orange and yellow to lift spirits. For styling inspiration look to Instagram stars Prosen Kilde, Hanna Stefansson and Emili Sindlev, who are constantly being photographed for their playful and unique dress sense. Turn to them for spring trends to covet, which includes a lot of gingham, mixed pastels and sweater vests, so expect to see these all over the racks at Zara and H&M. If you’re not ready to do a full revamp just yet, start with hair accessories, as Scandi girls are notably never without their diamante and pearls hair clips, silk scarf hair ties and velvet headbands.