The men’s lacrosse team’s last away day at De Montfort University almost ended somewhat prematurely, when the team realised that they had forgotten their playing kit one hour into the journey to De Montfort University. The season-long tradition of leaving one artefact or another behind was dutifully upheld. In their previous instance of forgetfulness the team had forgotten they’re club president Ryan O’Grady, who had overslept. However unperturbed, the team made it to DMU pitches with little time to warm up.

The game began slowly for UEA, with DMU taking first blood to go 1-0 up. This rude awakening forced the UEA defence to realise that this was not going the be the walkover that some players had expected, with dangerous dodging and cutting plays coming from a number of DMU players. DMU went a further goal up before UEA responded with three goals of their own, from attackers Mikey Bolton and Juliusz Bokiej to leave the score at 3-2 at the end of the first quarter. The second and third quarters proceeded at a crawl, with UEA encountering many a scoring opportunity and yet failing to convert goals from Bolton, Roxin and Bokiej. The third quarter also saw the last DMU goal of the day as they managed to penetrate the entirety of the UEA defence. After dodging three players he scored from just a metre outside the net and earned himself UEA’s man of the match award.

Despite this the defence had put on some extremely impressive performances, keeping out well-drilled DMU set plays and defending perilous man down situations. The fourth quarter ended with the score at 9-3 to UEA after a goal each from Roxin and Bokiej. Despite the win, the feeling after the game was that the team could have played better and won by a greater margin, putting greater pressure on league rivals Leicester.

Meanwhile, the Women’s lacrosse match against Leicester last Wednesday unfortunately saw an away loss of 20-10. However, the game on a whole showed immense teamwork, with many of the drills and skills of training paying off. Arriving with plenty of time to spare, the girls were able to prepare themselves for the hour to come.

As this was the second encounter of the season with Leicester, the team were aware of their star player, who had scored 18 out of the 26 goals in the last meeting. She promptly netted 16 out of the 20 this time around. Although the match resulted in a loss, UEA never gave up, and the players did not feel psychologically defeated after the loss. However the UEA defence certainly put up a consistent fight throughout the match, making the Leicester attack’s game as hard as possible. Most valuable UEA player went to star goalie, Georgie Sutton, who performed some outstanding saves, and cleared balls beyond the half way line. It must be noted that defender Charlotte Homan successfully saved a goal with her head and still lives to tell the tale; commitment is always valued in this sports club. On the attack, goals were scored by Charlotte Miller, Katie Moss, Emi Collin and a last minute shot by Emily Stoker. The attack played an initial fast paced game but performed well when the play slowed down and time was taken to step back and run to get the ball into the back of the net. Furthermore, with half the team being first years, the team’s potential is certainly high, with solid performances from first time players Esme Bathe and Anita Vigante.

The remainder of the season sees focus turn to the cup competitions, with the men facing Staffordshire again at Fortress Colney following a hotly contested affair last time around, and the women facing Nottingham away from home.