Improved Norwich Cycling and Walking Routes

A new blueprint of Norwich suggests the city has the potential to extend and create new routes in its periphery. The Norfolk County Council is pushing the public to delimit their car usage and encourages healthier ways of travel such as cycling and walking. The Council collaborated with Norwich, Broadland and South Norfolk councils to propose local infrastructure plans aiming to increase the public’s participation in regional cycling and walking paths.

There are currently eight cycle routes in Norwich spanning 60 miles. New improvements will be made in places such as Horsford and Harford, where travel to the city centre will be more convenient with an extended yellow pedalway. Another improvement being the construction of the blue pedalway to connect Wymondham and Sprowston with the city centre. Other than creating and extending new paths, old pathways such as the red pedalway between the city centre and Thorpe Marriott will be reconstructed for better access.

Long-term goals are expected to improve walking paths covering the city. Including areas between the city centre and the historic walls, as well as paths that connect the campus of the University of East Anglia with the Norwich Research Park and the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.

This improvement project is mostly funded by the Transforming Cities and Towns Fund. Matt Hayward from the Council hopes the public would help “shape this important project” by taking part in the survey www.norfolk.gov.uk/activetravel until May 30. The public is encouraged to suggest locations for cycle and walk path improvements.” According to Hayward, it is important to “help cut congestion, improve air quality and help combat climate change. […] Which are all in addition to the health and wellbeing benefits.”

03/05/2022

Melody Chan

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031