Gaming, Venue

In the gaming world this month

Covid-19 has had a serious impact on the gaming industry. Every day we see reports of network errors due to the strain put on servers in multiplayer games or the delay of another highly anticipated title. The last couple of weeks, however, saw some big developments in the gaming world which will surely keep us hopeful for the coming summer.

“But can it run Crysis?” is a phrase you used to hear time and time again whenever a new console or PC component was announced, and it is about to become a whole lot more relevant in the coming months with the announcement of a remaster of the original ‘Crysis’ game. The announcement was first teased by Crytek on their Twitter account and received positively by the fans of the classic FPS.

‘Valorant’ and ‘League of Legends’ developer, Riot Games, has recently come under fire due to their anti-cheat system, Vanguard, and its level of access to users’ computers. The software requires Kernel-level access, the most invasive level of access a software can have; this comes together with the requirement of the software being constantly active, even when ‘Valorant’ is not being played. While this kind of anti-cheat is not new, its constant presence has raised a few eyebrows, especially when considering Riot Games’ owner, Tencent, are themselves developers of WeChat, one of the main mass surveillance tools used by the Beijing government.

In brighter news, May 16 will be the ninth anniversary of Terraria’s release and the day its last expansion ‘Journey’s End’ will be released. Briefly announced at E3 2019, the expansion, also known as Terraria 1.4, will revisit all aspects of the game as well as adding over 800 new items and a new play mode. ‘Journey’s End’ is bound to bring a fantastic conclusion to one of the all-time classics.

Leaks from Guerrilla Games state that the studio is planning on completing a trilogy based on their critically acclaimed ‘Horizon Zero Dawn’. Reports of a co-op game to precede the sequel have been circulating; however, it is unclear if the project is still active. The studio recently deleted a job advert containing the #PS5 hashtag, hinting at the possibility that their next title is going to be playable on Sony’s next console.

Sony has announced the indefinite delay of ‘The Last of Us Part 2’, the sequel to the 2013 hit represents one of the most anticipated games of the year. This is the second time the Naughty Dog title has been delayed and while this is obviously due to the ongoing pandemic, some have started to wonder if the delays, especially the first, hint to possible issues with the game. The speculation grew after Joel’s voice actor, Troy Baker stated in an interview his thoughts on the game, explaining that not everyone will like it and that the game should be approached with an open mind. This comes together with news of “crunch practices” at Naughty Dog with members of the team reportedly working up to 12 hours a day, even on weekends, in order to meet deadlines.

With families now stuck at home and the release of the new ‘Animal Crossing: New Horizons’, the orders for Nintendo’s flagship console Switch have been skyrocketing. Prices have dramatically risen and websites such as Amazon have found themselves short of stock, not only due to the increased amount of orders, but also as manufacturers are struggling to purchase key components from China. If you are thinking about getting hold of one it would be sensible to stay patient, as third party resellers have significantly inflated prices and Nintendo has committed to ramp up production in the coming days.

05/05/2020

Marco Rizzo