India bans various Chinese apps accused of data theft

India has banned a further 118 Chinese apps amidst heightened tension between the neighbouring countries.

59 Chinese apps were banned by the Indian government in June, with a further 47 removed in July. Included in the blacklisted applications are the wildly popular apps TikTok and PUBG. It is thought many clones which were providing access to apps which were initially removed have been banned.

Speaking on the issue, the Indian government said the applications promoted activities “prejudicial to the sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order”.

Tensions are significantly high between New Delhi and Beijing after 20 Indian soldiers were killed in June during brutal hand-to-hand conflict with Chinese soldiers in the Ladakh region. It is believed China also faced casualties but specific numbers have not been confirmed.

The Indian technology ministry have accused the apps of stealing user data before trading it internationally. Moves have also been made to freeze Chinese companies whilst also blocking any imports from the country. A significant move has also been made to prevent the integration of China’s 5G mobile phone programme.

India has stated relations will only worsen until China removes its troops from areas across the Ladakh border. It is believed tensions are at their highest point since the 1962 war between the neighbouring states.

22/09/2020

William Warnes

Global Editor - 2019/20

Co-Deputy Editor - 2020/21

November 2021
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930