International Women’s Day to be held on the 8th of March

The annual commemoration which focuses on the liberation and equality of women is on the 8th of March. The International Women’s Day 2021 campaign theme is #choosetochallenge.

The charity behind the event International Women’s Day has focused 2021’s theme around the idea of challenging everyday bias and calling out inequality:

“We can all choose to challenge and call out gender bias and inequality. We can all choose to seek out and celebrate women’s achievements. Collectively, we can all help create an inclusive world.”

International Women’s Day celebrates its 45th anniversary this year after the UN officially recognised the date 45 years ago. International Women’s Day comes straight after LGBT awareness month and four months after transgender day of Remembrance. International transgender day of visibility is set to be on the 31st of March 2021.

Many have taken the opportunity to voice their support for women on this symbolic day, however, there have also been those who question whether International Women’s Day is inclusive enough to all women or even if the celebration commemoration “reduces feminism to fancy brunches and empty slogans.”

For International Women’s Day the University of East Anglia is running a UEA wise international Women’s Day conference. From 1:00 PM till 6:00 PM The University will give a platform:

“to self-identifying female UEA students to have the opportunity to share research with their peers the event will be a virtual event with a range of speakers from finally undergraduates to postgraduate researchers across a variety of stem subjects.”

Presentations for the event would be environmental scientists at 1:00 PM till 225, engineering and maths at 2:30 PM until 3:05 PM, pharmacy in chemistry from 3:05 PM until 3:50 PM and Health Sciences and biology from 4:00 PM until 5:30 PM.

Previous years the UEA have commemorated International Women’s Day by hosting speakers such as Em Anderson and Joanna Walsh.

The University has also come under fire for allowing a talk from Kathleen Stock (an academic accused of transphobia) to go ahead in the near future. In a statement regarding the rescheduling the university said in a statement that:

“The research seminar, as with all such events, is an opportunity for philosophy academics and philosophy [post-graduate researchers] to consider and critique the paper presented.”

They added to this, stating: “UEA is committed to standing up for human rights and inclusion. UEA is a place where people are free to express themselves and know that others will stand up for those rights.”

02/03/2021

Samuel Woolford

1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031