Listings, OldVenue

Feminist Society celebrate International Women’s Day

International Women’s Day has been observed since the early 1900s and is now an official holiday in 27 countries worldwide and celebrated unofficially in many other countries. It is a day for celebration of women’s achievements and of the many improvements that have been made to women’s lives throughout the years, as well as looking to the future and the ways we can further improve women’s lives globally.

There will be a number of talks throughout the day in the LCR, on a variety of topics which affect women. Events available are:

12:15 Nitya Rao (DEV) – Gender Justice and Violence

12:45 Helen Warner (PSI) – Women in Sport

1:15 Eylem Atakav (FTV) – Women, Islam and the Media

1:45 Vicki McDermott (PSY) – Violence in Intimate Teenage Relationships

2:15 Sarah Monks (ART) – Women and Art

2:45 Liz McKinnell (PHI) – Body Positivity and Street Harassment

3:15 Tori Cann (PSI) – Girlhood

3:45 Sanna Inthorn (PSI) – “I’m fit, I’m flirty and I’ve got double Fs.” – Women and Sexuality on TV

4:15 Tessa Gilder Smith – Q&A with the newly elected Women’s Officer

5:00 Adrienne Jolly – Empowerment workshop, Arts 2.03.

From 7:30 there will be an evening of entertainment in the Blue Bar, featuring poetry, comedy and music from many talented women, as well as a special performance from the cast of UEA’s Vagina Monologues.

For more information on UEA’s Feminist Society, find them on facebook under UEA Feminist Discussion Group and Society, on Twitter or visit their blog.

05/03/2013

ameliaedwards

1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031