Internships and Graduate Jobs

Internships and Graduate Jobs are quite similar as the two connect to work experience gained from actual employment, and both are paid. Most post graduates pursue a graduate job from which they then can start establishing and building a career. Usually at the end of their studies, most students know what they want to work with, and through the universities Career Central they can receive advice and guidelines as to what would suit them, and how to find and apply to these jobs. However, it is no easier for students to get the jobs they apply for, then it is for any other job application, so it is important not to feel discouraged if you do not get your first choice. Then again, maybe you are not one hundred percent sure as to what you want to work with, how to start your career, or which path to take whatsoever. If that is the case there is no need to get yourself down, internships could be your answer. An internship is a work experience type of job, meaning you have it for a set period of time. This period can be anything from one week to a year, and the intern is paid at least minimum wage throughout. It is beneficial for students who are unsure, curious about several careers, or simply feel the need to gain more experience before settling for a job post graduation. 

Whether you are a student who knows exactly where you are going post graduation, or if you have no clue what the future might have in store for you in the field of work, Career Central are there to support and guide you in these matters. On UEA’s Career Central website there are almost an overwhelming amount of post grad jobs and internships, so if you do not know exactly what you are looking for, the best and easiest act you should start with is contacting or visiting the career central or some other advisor to discuss your options as well as your ambitions and dreams. 

Alternatively, grad schemes are structured training programmes for recent graduates to gain experience in larger organisations. They last between one and two years, and are available in numerous industries ranging from finance, marketing, HR, management and law. 

Applications for grad schemes usually open between September and October for intake the following year. Grad schemes are designed to give you hands-on experience, and a chance to develop a deeper understanding of your chosen profession. Some grad schemes will focus on a particular role, whilst others will be split into different placements, working across a variety of business roles, teams and potentially locations. 

However, there are some cons to grad schemes: they are very competitive, and largely oversubscribed, with limited places. Alongside a gruelling application process, in which you’ll have to be successful through multiple stages, including psychometric testing, phone or Skype interviews, group assessment days and an individual interview, grad schemes can have a very corporate environment, and can involve long working hours. 

On the other hand, while careers may not be all about money, those on graduate schemes enjoy an average annual salary of £27,000. They also offer amazing training and development opportunities in a relatively short space of time. 

25/02/2020

Leelou Lewis and Paige Allen