Freshers

Interview with Mimi Okorie

What is your first memory of being a fresher?

I guess it’s moving in, and I remember pulling up to the car park and having this wash of fear take over. But then, luckily, I had really nice flatmates. First thing I did was go to my room, sit there and take pictures of the room. Then, one of my flatmates came into my room and asked if I wanted to go for a coffee and then that’s how I made my friends and felt comfortable. She’s still one of my best friends.

What was your expectation of uni?

I expected to be really alone, and that I would find it really hard to make friends. And also, that the lecturers wouldn’t want to help, but that’s not how it turned out. I think everyone was in the same boat so it was super easy to make friends. I didn’t expect to get that much help but I did on my course.

What was the best thing you did in Freshers’ Week?

I think the best thing to do is to go to town which is what I did. So knowing the route to the supermarkets, and getting to know the general area is a good idea. And go to all of the events. You make the majority of your initial friends on these nights. Go to any course type things that they tell you to go to; I didn’t, but you should! They really help as obviously you don’t know what they are talking about next week. Oh, and make sure you don’t spend all your time in your room, it’s good to spend time getting to know people and go and get the free pizza on campus!

Is there anything you’d do differently?

No, I don’t think I would, as I got fully involved. I joined societies and went to all the socials. Just got involved in everything. The worst part is going to socials on your own. If you can, then definitely go with someone else, but it’s still better to go than not. But it’s different for everyone!

How did you find the transition from the International Baccalaureate to uni?

I actually found it easier but what I did find stressful was being in charge of your own workload and keeping to deadlines. For people that like to leave work until the last minute, leave a week. So I’d say three days research and planning for an essay and then three days for writing. I did leave it until last minute occasionally and it was rushed and I wouldn’t get the best grade that I could!

Are you happy with the way first year went?

Yes, I am happy that I became president of ACS and that I put myself out there. And getting my Futurer Radio internship. Did you think that you would have achieved everything you have done?I didn’t even think I’d even join ACS, let alone become president. I didn’t think I’d make the friends, but I did. I think it’s something to do with the environment of uni that allows you to do stuff like this.

What skill have you learnt that you didn’t have before?

About myself mostly, as you can’t always turn to your parents. You learn to clean and that kind of thing.

Any last tips?

My tip is take any and every risk with university in general. This is your only time to be young and make mistakes (obviously within reason). But yeah! Go for it!

16/09/2014

rebeccabemment As a third year English and American Literature student, Becca spends most of her time either reading or writing, with the hope that this will someday land her in the world of publishing. She will spend her third year attempting to balance being Lifestyle Editor for Concrete, trying to keep up being a regular blogger, and drinking endless amounts of tea – because tea is just the best.

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31