As soon as news broke that Disney had bought the rights to the Star Wars movie franchise, fans begann sniffing around the internet like impatient little Ewoks looking for scraps of info on the upcoming sci-fi epic. This week those fans were treated to their first glimpse of what Disney has in store for the series with J.J. Abrams now confirmed as director of Star Wars Episode VII.

J.J. Abrams

This continues Abrams’ rein as Hollywood’s king of the geeks, by placing yet another iconic sci-fi franchise into this director-cum-producer’s hands. In an interesting act of defiance, Abrams has not yet agreed to stick to the 2015 release date Disney were hoping for, meaning fans may have to wait a while before they can return to their favourite galaxy, far, far away.

The upcoming Steve Jobs biopic has also made for some interesting news. After an early viewing during the Sundance Film Festival, Steve Wozniak, the co-founder of Apple, has criticised the film for an inaccurate portrayal of the entrepreneur’s real life. Jobs (Ashton Kutcher) is shown to be the brains behind the operation, demonstrating that the real relationship of these industry icons, as with any biopic, can only be speculated on screen.

Furthermore, after adopting Steve Jobs’s fruitarian diet in an attempt to get in character for the role, Aston Kutcher was taken to hospital with pancreatic problems. We can only speculate to the problems that Kutcher must have endured after taking over from Charley Sheen last year on Two and a Half Men.

After the success of The Master, Paul Thomas Anderson is looking to cast Joaquin Phoenix in his latest endeavour, Inherent Vice. Phoenix obviously made an impression upon Anderson during the making of The Master, leading to a role in the adaptation of Thomas Pynchon’s 1970s Los Angeles based detective novel.

Shooting for the next X-Men instalment will begin soon and hints at what is in store have been emerging. With the intriguing title X-Men: Days of Future Past, familiar faces from the franchise such as Anna Paquin (Rogue), Shawn Ashmore (Iceman), Ellen Page (Shadowcat) as well as the younger and older versions of Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr will appear.

The question of whether the film will forfeit its successful formula of setting the action in times of real historical change (e.g. The Cold War in X-Men: First Class) for a time-travel plot, in order to showcase an award-winning cast, remains to be seen.

On a less serious note, it has been rumoured that Simon Cowell wishes to make Pudsey: The Movie, based on the dog that won Britain’s Got Talent last year. marking his entrance onto the movie scene.

Cowell has always undoubtedly had an eye to make a quick buck on the hopes and dreams of everyday people, but in trying to penetrate the movie world through a performing dog, the TV judge is opening himself up to criticisms of commercialism that could further diminish his already polarised image in the public eye.