Music, OldVenue

Jake Bugg’s self-titled debut album

It’s hard to believe that such honesty and wit can come from an 18-year-old lad. Jake Bugg’s debut album is a refreshing wash of plain-cool retro folk with hints of blues. Fused together, they create an uplifting tone peppered with originality.

To many this album felt like a triumph for music itself, having beaten Leona Lewis to the number one album spot, with Zane Lowe tweeting “music wins.”

Lyrically, Bugg surpasses expectations with his intensely insightful lyrics. On the outside, things are little hard. Below the surface, however, there’s a soft and warm interior. It’s delectable and makes you want more.

Opener, Lightning Bolt, an upbeat skiffle-esque tune, descends into the confident Two Fingers, a glimpse into Bugg’s understated life, venturing the feeling that “something’s changing, changing”, a statement very true of his future.

As the songs progress, they become more openly tranquil; the softness of his tone is exposed enchantingly in Broken. His voice captures vulnerability, inviting the listener to be enveloped by his small world – you can’t decline.

Some songs notably overshadow others however, with the last song Fire being just a whisper of verse before it hastily reaches its end. The eclectic mixture of subdued reflections that explore love, drugs and alcohol, paired with optimistic crowd-pleasers, showcase Bugg’s rawness and no-fuss attitude.

He’s been compared to Bob Dylan to name but one but there’s something obviously distinctive about Jake Bugg. With scattered moments of wisdom far beyond his years, it’s at times difficult to remember you’re listening to someone that is nudging adulthood.

Two Fingers – Jake Bugg

27/10/2012

beccaoram

April 2021
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930