January transfers: winners and losers

Transfer deadline day passed without the intense drama and overpriced deals we have become accustomed to, but many significant transfers were made by Premier League clubs in the past month.

Arsenal
The Gunners bolstered their defence with the signing of Brazilian defender Gabriel Paulista. The loan departures of Lukas Podolski, Yaya Sanogo and Joel Campbell will give young striker Chuba Akpom a chance.

Aston Villa
Villa brought in wingers Carles Gil and Scott Sinclair to aid an attack that has scored just 11 league goals so far, the lowest in the division. If they are unable to end the drought in the league, Villa will be in trouble.

Burnley
Burnley signed young Man U. defender Michael Keane, though the big story for their survival chances was successfully fending off the interest in their top-scorer, Danny Ings.

Chelsea
Chelsea sold the hard-working Andre Schurrle to Wolfsburg for £22m and replaced him with pacy winger Juan Cuadrado for £23m. The barely-utilised Mohamed Salah joined Fiorentina as part of the deal.

Crystal Palace
Palace were the busiest Premier League club, bringing in Pape Souare, Shola Ameobi, Jordan Mutch and Yaya Sanogo. Deadline day saw Bolton winger Lee Chung-Young join, and a permanent deal agreed for forward Wilfried Zaha to end his nightmare spell at Manchester United.

Everton
Everton borrowed winger Aaron Lennon from Spurs and sold striker Samuel Eto’o to Sampdoria after just half a season. It has been a disappointing season so far, but Roberto Martinez saw fit to make very few changes.

Hull
Hull snapped up striker Dame N’Doye on deadline day. He is a quick and powerful forward who should ensure goals in their fight for survival.

Liverpool
Liverpool remained quiet, but with Daniel Sturridge finally back from injury, Liverpool’s goal problem should be solved. Simon Mignolet’s improved form means Brendan Rodgers’ goalkeeper search will be delayed until summer.

Leicester
Leicester signed veteran keeper Mark Schwarzer from Chelsea and broke their transfer record for striker Andrej Kramaric. They also moved for Stoke centre-back Robert Huth to help shore up the defence.

Manchester City
City made the most expensive signing in the window with £28m striker Wilfried Bony joining from Swansea. He scored more league goals in 2014 than any other player, and City will be hoping that form can fire them to the title.

Manchester United
United failed to strengthen their defence as anticipated. The free transfer of goalkeeper Victor Valdes provides strength-in-depth, but raises questions over David De Gea’s future. Off-loading Anderson should be considered an achievement.

Newcastle
Newcastle signed no one, but lost their manager. The team has performed adequately so far, but another season of mediocrity looms.

QPR
QPR loaned West Ham forward Mauro Zarate, though remained otherwise quiet, a rumoured reason for Harry Redknapp’s departure. Crucially, they kept hold of top scorer Charlie Austin.

Southampton
Southampton added attacking midfielders Eljero Elia and Filip Djuricic to their ranks. Ryan Bertrand made his loan move permanent just before the deadline.

Stoke
Stoke replaced Huth with defender Phillip Wollscheid. Few changes were needed, though Bojan’s knee injury may affect their form in the run-in.

Sunderland
Sunderland provided 32-year old Jermaine Defoe with a Premier League return, with misfit Jozy Altidore heading the other way.

Swansea
Swansea signed midfielder Jack Cork and full-back Kyle Naughton, but lost the focal point of their attack, Bony. Whether on loan Benfica forward Nelson Oliveira can fill his boots remains to be seen.

Tottenham
Spurs won the race for highly-rated MK Dons midfielder Dele Alli, and he will be loaned back to the League One club until the summer. One for the future.

West Brom
West Brom acquired Wigan’s Callum McManaman, but most importantly managed to keep hold of Saido Berahino. Darren Fletcher arrived from Manchester United at the death, and will be a key player for Tony Pulis’ side.

West Ham
West Ham conducted very little business after failing in their bid to take Emmanuel Adebayor on loan from Spurs. Winston Reid will remain until his contract expires in the summer, when Tottenham are expected to make their move.

10/02/2015

James Chesson

December 2021
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031