Nuca, Norwich’s University College of Arts, has recently announced that next autumn John Hurt will be the University’s first Provost. Hurt will perform the role of figurehead and ambassador for the students of Nuca, and will be present at university events and ceremonies such as graduations.

Nuca also recently announced that by the end of the year they will gain an official university status, and will be  named the Norwich University of the Arts, or NUA, becoming Norwich and Norfolk’s second university. This advance is one of many nationwide, as a number of university colleges, from Plymouth to Lincoln, become fully accredited universities.

The prolific star of stage and screen has previously received two Academy Award nominations, a Golden Globe Award, four BAFTA Awards and a Lifetime Achievement recognition award. Famous for his distinctive voice, Hurt has also been a prominent voice actor for many years, lending his considerable talents to productions such as Watership Down and Merlin.

When taking on the position he said that ‘I hope that I will be able to help make Nuca an arts university second to none and the envy of the most illustrious institutions not just in this country but worldwide’.

“This may sound a boastful ambition but I believe, from what I have already seen of the work and felt of the atmosphere, that it is eminently possible. What greater privilege and honour could I have been offered and I will do my best to help achieve this ambition.”