What a pleasure to have won ‘Best Student Programme’ at the BBC Radio 4 Today Student Journalism Awards! I’m also so pleased Concrete came runner up for ‘Best Student Publication’. The award ceremony was such an experience – I was so nervous and shaking the whole time. Everyone I met there was lovely, including Nick Robinson and Justin Webb. It was great to chat about the fabulous things Concrete has done in the past but also talk about the exciting projects that we have coming… keep your eyes peeled.

It was wonderful to see Sophie, Matt and Shannon from last year’s editorial team and to find out what they’ve been up to since they left UEA. Everything they’re doing at the moment sounds so exciting, I’m itching to graduate now.

We were each gifted a BBC keep cup – I have used mine almost every day and I have no shame in this. Particularly because I am drinking so much coffee this year, it is nice to save a bit of money when fuelling my caffeine addiction (but also help to reduce my environmental impact at the same time). I would encourage anyone who doesn’t use reusable cups to go and buy one – they’re cute and you can get them in funky designs and it has been keeping my coffee warmer for longer. 

Also, in arguably bigger news I’ve cracked the code of how to live in the media office. Over the past few weeks I have spent quite a bit of cash on sandwiches and sausage rolls from the various cafes and shops. A friend told me that you can get free hot water from most of the coffee shops on campus. Most students would only use that for tea. But I have started using this hot water for pot noodles. Especially now that we are firmly in winter, I appreciate having something warm and tasty to eat rather than rotating around the same three sandwiches and wraps. 

Come along and chat to our editorial team at our Post Pub Pub if you haven’t already, 7PM in Red Bar every time we publish a new issue! This issue is one of our best so far this academic year and it would be lovely to see some new faces!