KAOS Christmas Shoebox Appeal

KAOS (Kids Action Over Seas) is a charitable society and we organise different fundraising events throughout the academic year supporting several orphanages in different locations around the world. You might have heard of our annual fashion show in spring which we organise to raise money for New Hope Orphanage in Kenya. However this article is a call to all UEA students to get involved with our Christmas shoebox appeal! It’s probably something quite familiar to most of us as the shoebox appeal is a big thing in UK primary and secondary schools. But for those of you who don’t know, the concept is pretty simple, you find an old shoebox and wrap it in Christmas wrapping paper (ensuring you wrap the lid and box separately!) and fill it with lovely Christmas presents. Then we send it over to the orphanage that we help to support in Romania and then the boxes are given to the children and elderly people who live there so that they have something to open on Christmas morning. You can choose the age and gender of the person you would like to create your box for, starting from five months – two years, three – six years, seven – twelve years, thirteen – eighteen years and there are also a small group of pensioners who live in the orphanage as well. So there’s something for everybody and it’s a great way to give an amazing gift to somebody this Christmas who might not usually receive anything.

How to get involved is simple! We have a Facebook event: KAOS Christmas Shoebox Appeal which is an open event so click attending and invite all your friends. On the event there is a link to a google doc, simply click the link and write your name down in the box for the age and gender you would like to create your box for. There is no limit to how many boxes you can make so be as generous as you wish! In the event description there is a list of recommended items for each age group to put in your shoebox and also a small list of prohibited items as well. We are also asking for a small donation of £3 to go along with each box to help cover the cost of the shipping and to ensure your box will be there by Christmas day. We will be holding collections for the shoeboxes in the Hive 12-2 on the 8th, 9th and 10th of December so once you’ve filled your box and decorated it accordingly just bring it along on any of those dates with the £3 and that’s your good deed for Christmas done!
On behalf of myself and the KAOS committee I really do urge you to get involved in the shoebox appeal, it really does brighten up someone’s Christmas day and it’s a very inexpensive, student-friendly way to do something charitable this Christmas!

Also for further information about KAOS and updates about the fashion show and how to get involved (which will be coming soon!) just like our Facebook page UEA KAOS.

09/12/2014

jayacooper