Keeping the Sound of UEA alive amid Covid-19

Back in September 2018 as a young first year, I arrived at UEA with the eagerness to join pretty much every club and society under the sun. The impact Livewire1350 (UEA’s student radio station) has had on my university life was something never expected as I wandered around the sports park, debating between joining Wine and Cheese society or Real Ale. Now, as a final year student and second year committee member, I can safely say joining Livewire was the best decision of my university life. 

Student radio and radio in general helps to create an extremely unique community. We have the option of meeting as a society, working together and putting on great events. But, with a full 7 day a week schedule, Livewire are able to create a community of presenters, producers and listeners made up of students and the wider population. During the isolated times of lockdown, content has been created at home and distributed online using social media meaning we were able to bring our society together whilst everyone was spread across the world. That is something that will continue into the coming academic year. Livewire will be a strong, functioning society and broadcasting will continue as it has done since the station was first developed. 

For any committee, balancing running a successful society – ensuring all members feel included and welcomed and producing professional media content – is tricky at the best of times. Yet, when the university year is cut short and all we get is uncertainty throughout the summer, planning a fun year looks near impossible. However, the Livewire committee has been working extremely hard since it was newly elected in June and there are so many ways potential members can get involved. 

Firstly, being part of the UEA media collective alongside UEATV and Concrete allows everyone to access the media offices and most importantly, the Livewire radio studios. Also, with UEA Estates working extremely hard to fit Perspex screens in the studio, this has helped make broadcasting even safer. We are so excited we can start broadcasting as soon as we get back to university, whilst hopefully welcoming many more budding presenters and producers. 

This year is going to look extremely different in all aspects of student life. However Livewire believes we can help all clubs and societies throughout the year. By inviting committee members to promote their societies live on air, students can gather insight into what different societies are planning for this year. At UEA, everyone wants to help each other and Livewire aims to lend a helping hand. We are excited to welcome new members and feel fortunate to be able to continue producing shows and media content, a vital part of what keeps our society breathing. We want to make this year our best yet. 

22/09/2020

Bronwen Brown