Korfball in profile

It may not draw crowds the size of Wembley or make headlines in the way a scintillating Ashes test match might, but UEA Korfball’s Lottie Hill believes that the game has the potential to make big waves in the sporting world.

korfball

Korfball is a mixed team sport that has drawn similarities to basketball and handball, with the Korf, Dutch for basket, positioned at 3.5 metres from the ground. Each team has eight players who are divided into two sections, with two males and females in each area. Although one section starts in attack, players swap roles after every two goals are scored.
It is also worth noting that a player can only be marked by opposition of the same sex.

In terms of the skills required to partake in korfball, Hill feels that good communication is one of the most integral components in the make-up of a player. “The best korfball players are very agile, coordinated and fantastic team players. Communication is also vital throughout the team in order to let everyone know what’s going on.

“As there are no fixed positions, all players must be able to attack and defend equally well, so players have to be versatile and have an all-round knowledge of the game.”

You might know what you are going to get when joining the football team or the rugby club; if nothing else you will be familiar with the rules. However, Hill feels that a complete beginner shouldn’t be put off joining by the initial confusion they are likely to feel. “The game is very inclusive by nature, so if a beginner finds themselves a little confused by what is going on, they shouldn’t give up, but ask someone with experience who will be sure to help out.”

It may come as a surprise to know that UEA’s Korfball Club is the largest student korfball club in the country, with around 60 participating members and six teams competing in the Norfolk Korfball leagues.

They are also one of the most successful clubs, having been crowned four-times BUCS national champions since 2005. The sort of success that UEA has experienced in recent times can only be continued if the sport gains more recognition. Hill feels that people’s exposure to the sport must come at an earlier age. “More emphasis in primary schools could be key to korfball becoming better known in the UK, as it’s a good starter sport for coordination and general fitness. The sport also helps to teach children about gender differences and how to make use of their individual and team skills.”

Hill also feels that more television coverage would allow the sport to gain the recognition it deserves. While it seems unlikely that many sports will be able to rival the financial and commercial muscle of football or Formula One, it appears fundamental to the sport’s continual growth that clubs like UEA’s continue to thrive.

22/10/2013

willmedlock

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031