Ahh, ‘The City Of Angels’… how I’ve missed you. The streets of 1947 Los Angeles sprawl before my eyes once more. I’ve already had a belly-full of it. Yes, that’s right. I fully completed the 2011 original back in the day. But this time it’s personal (and has upgraded graphics), so I’ll take my best shot.

In L.A. Noire’s 2017 remaster, the superb narrative remains the same. You are Detective Cole Phelps: a veteran WWII US Marine, haunted by your past. You act as a shining beacon among Los Angeles’ dark and corrupted boulevards – seemingly the only honest sleuth in this whole, rotten city. Watch your step. Every sidewalk is stained with the blood of racketeers, chalky outlines of unfortunate victims, and tarnished bullet holes left by lawbreaking gangsters.

As you progress through the story, Phelps climbs the ranks of the L.A.P.D. From uncovering lucrative schemes like traffic rackets and arson fraudsters, to the ghastlier cases that plague the city’s underbelly, like serial homicides and sleazy vices. You get to experience it all, just like you’ve stepped into a noir movie (seriously though, you can turn on a black and white filter in the settings).

However, there is one superlative element that undoubtedly makes ‘L.A. Noire’ worthy of this remaster; the interview mechanic. Each character in the game has been meticulously motion-captured, so you’ll have to examine each suspect’s realistic expression during the interrogation to determine whether they are lying, telling the truth, or downright obstructing your inquiries. It’s up to you how to deal with these delinquents: accuse them with evidence, believe them, or threaten them. Retorting with an incorrect response can hinder your case rating at the end however, so be shrewd!

Although, bumbling through a case with no sense of vigilance is a hilarious option too.