Universities UK (UUK) have published their latest report on patterns and trends in higher education for 2018.

The report covers the academic year for 2016-17, a total of 2,316,475 students were studying at higher education establishments within the UK.

At little over 1m, 44% of those in education were new entrants onto programs at these establishments, both post and undergraduate, although this shows a significant drop of around 60,000 students, there were record numbers of students studying full-time courses.

Staffing HE establishments across the country has increased 12.7% since 2007-08 with a 58.7% increase in academic staff.

In the academic years between 2009-10 and 2016-17 the number of professorial posts occupied by women and BME staff has increased by 59.2%, with nearly 10% of all these posts consisting of BME staff and 25% female. That being said white males still dominate this part of the sector at a total of 67.5%.

In conclusion UUK said “Over the last 10 years, there has been significant change in the number of staff and students at universities, as well as their finances. This includes shifts in the range of courses offered and characteristics of student and staff.”

Moreover UUK insists that: “Despite challenges over the next few years, the UK higher education sector will endeavor to maintain its globally-competitive teaching and research quality, collaborate nationally and internationally, and attract students and staff from across the globe.”