Featured Posts, News

LCR burger van banned from campus

The Union of UEA students has banned the LCR burger van from trading on campus from the start of this academic year.

LCR - Laura Smith

Photo: Laura Smith

The Corkys Event Catering van has been selling food outside LCR club nights for the past eight years, paying the Union 10% of their profits in an agreement that allowed them to trade on campus. However, the company were contacted by the Union in August this year to be told that they would no longer be allowed to work outside the LCR.

Julian Lambe, who owns Corkys Event Catering, told Concrete: “we were only given a months’ notice before the students came back to UEA that we wouldn’t be allowed outside the LCR anymore. It takes us six to eight months in advance to organise a new catering contract and if we’d been told earlier we could have organised something else. Four people have lost their jobs now that we’re out of employment.”

On both Saturday 19 and Monday 21 September the van traded on campus away from the LCR up the slope above the car park without issue, but received a call on Thursday 24 from campus security asking them not to return.

Lambe explained: “we were just rung out of the blue as we had been there Saturday and Monday with no problems. Campus security even came up and had some food off us (on Saturday and Monday) which we always supply free of charge to LCR and security staff.”

He added that he had contacted Concrete as he felt that it was unfair that students had not had a say in the decision as the van had always proved popular, “we thought the Student Union was run by students for students but they were obviously never consulted about this. We would like to thank all the students for their custom over the years and apologise for not being there this year.”

Union Finance Officer Joe Levell told Concrete: “The Shop now opens later and stays open until after LCR events for students to have some food. As a result, the burger van was no longer needed.”

Union Communications Officer Rosie Rawle said: “The Shop will surely be selling hot food such as burgers, chips etc. late at night.”

08/10/2013

sophiewitts