Leave your troubles at the surface

Scuba diving has a reputation for being a somewhat ‘extreme’ sport. While it does attract its fair share of adrenaline junkies, there is a whole community out there passionate about the underwater ecosystems, the wrecks, and the sport.

Even though it is not competitive like most sports, scuba gives a chance to step back and focus on discipline. While technically challenging, the skills developed in diving can be incredibly useful. To qualify as a diver, you take an internationally recognised course from an organisation like PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors). This is a great CV booster and ensures you’re trained to a high standard.

‘But that’s terrifying’ you say? Yes, the idea of being deep underwater supported by a tank of oxygen does seem pretty daunting, but most find it much less scary after initial training. Diving companies are incredibly thorough, and the risks of incidents occurring are very low.

Some divers would go as far to say that diving can be a meditative practice. Scuba and yoga have more in common than you might think – both combine the use of breathing exercises to regulate your state of mind. On land, it can be tricky to abandon your worries, but while diving they’re left at the surface. There has been significant research into diving as a form of therapy for PTSD and other mental health conditions. I can personally vouch for this, as someone who has multiple mental illnesses and feel the most peaceful underwater.

If you’re interested in getting involved, UEA has a Sub-Aqua Club which you can join either as a beginner or experienced diver, or just to snorkel, if that’s where you feel comfortable. The club has regular socials and training sessions, and can help you apply for financial aid if this is a barrier preventing you from enjoying the sport. You can check out our Facebook page for more information.

17/09/2019

Laura Taylor

December 2021
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031