The lego batman movie

In a world where Lego reigns supreme, a brooding brick Batman (Will Arnett) eagerly awaits his latest big screen debut. It’s a curious scenario, a tiny toy securing his own big movie deal, but it’s a familiar one none the less, one spurred on by the astronomical success of The Lego Movie in 2014.

And that is where we are joined at the start of the movie – it’s been a few years since the last Lego outing, and suffice to say, the Big B has gotten a little lonely. Resigning himself to his mansion, and consuming an excessive amount of late-night lobster after lacklustre crime-fighting escapades, this billionaire playboy appears to have lost his appetite for life. But never fear, the boisterous boy wonder is here! Michael Cera assumes the form (voice) of Robin in the latest flick, complete with absolutely fabulous sparkly yellow cape, and little Lego goggles which only serve to enlarge his endearing eyes, and no doubt, your heart. He’s the perfect yang to Batman’s yin, balancing out the Dark Knight’s tougher side with something more fun, innocent, and energetic.

But all is not so cheery in Gotham, and as the The Joker (Zach Galifianakis) begins to threaten the City (again) with a whole host of new villains. Be prepared for a Lego Dark Lord – it’s up to fashionista Robin and sulky Batman to stop them, along with help from capable police chief, Barbara Gordon (Rosario Dawson), the world’s most patient butler, Alfred (Ralph Fiennes), and a whole heap of ridiculous bat-themed outfits for the group to wear. Frankly, we didn’t even know we wanted to see Alfred dressed as a British police-themed bat riding a tank…until now.

Needless to say, the film excels when it embraces its sillier side, acknowledging its own history in clever flashback gags and inserting in countless in-jokes and intertextual references that are self-mocking and delightful. Frenetic and breath-taking, there is never a dull moment when it comes to The Lego Batman Movie, as it consistently provides colourful visuals and unique experiences that were first introduced in the original. Kaleidoscopic Lego bricks gleefully collide to paint a distinctly immersive and captivating picture that flows perfectly; a suitable testament to the advancements in computer animation.

Whilst it seems strange to witness another Batman film so soon after the lacklustre Batman vs. Superman, Lego Batman proves to be a worthy successor and without a doubt, the best Batman movie of recent years.

07/03/2017

melissahaggar As the current VENUE Deputy Editor and former Film Editor, Melissa spends the majority of her free time sobbing over her mountain of MA work or indulging in cinematic outings. A self-professed lover of Gothic & Fantasy genres, Melissa naturally loves Harry Potter, aesthetically pleasing Instagram posts, and classical music. She also really wants to be Jessica Jones.

1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031