Fashion

London Fashion Week – Autumn/Winter 2014

London Fashion Week is always an eagerly awaited event and, according to the British Fashion Council, this twice-annual celebration of fashion is worth £26 million to the UK economy. This season’s event saw many anticipated brands producing garments that will soon overwhelm our high-street stores. We’ve discovered that contrasting patterns will again be in style, as well as Spanish inspired ruffled dresses. Here are the most inspirational features and memorable moments of the stand out designers this season.

topshop-unique-aw-2014-by-andy-barnham-16

Christopher Kane
Always eagerly anticipated, and this year was no different. His beautiful leather creations were juxtaposed with pastel yellow knitwear to create a sense of glamour and provocation. His ready-to-wear pieces were casual yet enticing, with rich textures being used such as PVC and fur.

John Rocha
One of the stand-out shows of this LFW, Rocha’s ready-to-wear pieces seemed to be in full bloom. The layers of ruffled fabric were a memorable feature among the audience, with the shoulder pieces evoking a flower in its prime.

JW Anderson
His flamenco style dresses went down a storm. Seen also at John Rocha and Sister By Sibling, his subtle touches of orange were a beautiful hint at the exotic locations of his inspiration, and the shoes that emblazoned the feet of every model evoked a sense of middle-eastern street wear. His pre-show was inspired by artist Joseph Beuy who uses insulation felt to surround his objects. Anderson recreated this by covering his seats at the catwalk in the same material, possibly to create a sense of industrialism.

Mary Katrantzou
Some might say that Katrantzou stole the week. Her stunning gowns with split seams floated across the catwalk, along with their heavily embroidered panels. As always, Katrantzou’s use of pattern had an astounding effect with its baroque inspired symmetry.

Topshop Unique
The Topshop Unique fashion house irrevocably wowed their audience. Many would argue that their patchwork faux fur coat is the most desirable and innovative item of the season. The front row viewers included Kate Moss, Poppy Delevingne, Philip Green, and Anna Wintour, which is a clear example of the brands popularity and varying customer focus. The beautiful fur gilets and slouchy-worn sheepskin coats were key items among the collection.

Vivienne Westwood
Dressing the power woman, Westwood combined sharp tailored suits with an edge of femininity. The neutral tones of her palette were contrasted with a bright evocative red; adding extra drama to the collection. The fur shorts with matching suit jacket was a real highlight, showing Westwood’s creativity and innovation.

25/02/2014

katietsappas