What’s new in science – 8th March

Extinct otter-like ‘marine bear’ might have had a bite like a saber-toothed cat.

Hip replacements numbers soared by 76% for the under 60s in the last decade.

Government rejects notion of offering all children Meningitis B vaccine as it would ‘not be cost effective’.

Meteor ‘bright flash’ seen in skies over northeast Scotland with a ‘rumbling sound’.

Beginning of formal test programme on technologies to detect gravitational waves in space.

Powerful quake measuring 7.8 magnitude strikes off Indonesian coast.

The Green Party has called for a full ban on microbeads.

Study by Nasa discovers Middle East is suffering worst drought in 900 years.

The link between the Zika virus and Guillain-Barré syndrome is growing stronger.

After a year in space, Astronaut Scott Kelly is safely back on Earth.

Scientists have developed a brain scan to diagnose Alzheimer’s disease.

The NHS have approved lifechanging sickle cell disease treatment.

08/03/2016

jacobbeebe Going into his 2nd year of his Biomedicine degree, Jacob plans to spend his time in the hive huddled around a cuppa’ - more than likely sporting a befuddled expression on his face. Aside from his studies he is a guitarist, saxophonist and a budding drummer. Previously a committed Environment writer, he aims to make the newly formed Science and Environment section an interesting new addition to Concrete.

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31