Music, OldVenue

Live: Chasing Tigers and special guests

Chasing Tigers
Chasing Tigers

Hosted by local new music promoter The Tilting Sky, Norwich band Chasing Tigers headed a sold out show at The Waterfront Studio. The evening saw support from two other Norfolk acts, Founders and The Actor & The Peach, as well as Hull based band Affairs.

As an opening support act you couldn’t have asked for more from The Actor & The Peach. They kicked things off with their blues inspired acoustic music. Christian’s powerful, almost theatrical vocals (The Actor) boldly complement James’ skilful guitar work (The Peach) and they quickly got heads bobbing.

Their confident opening belied any nerves from playing at such an established local music venue and they grew into an assured performance ingrained with real chemistry; their interaction with the audience and quips to one another show just how much they enjoy performing their music. With a wealth of appearances booked for the summer and growing recognition The Actor & The Peach are proof that persistent hard work does pay off.

The Actor & The Peach

Norwich based group Founders were up next and served to ramp up the atmosphere a notch. Founders were formed earlier this year as a reincarnation of three former members of the band Fiorentina. They pull together neatly, blending their sound in a seamless and rounded indie rock performance. By their own admission, all that is missing is a few more songs and a little more exercise.

Affairs travelled from Hull to follow Founders onto the stage as the final support act of the evening. With vocals reminiscent of Editors, guitar structures that bring to mind the best work of Foals and The Maccabees, and a fashion sense that echoes Friendly Fires (and a dozen up and coming hipster bands), Affairs certainly tick the right alternative/indie/electro boxes.

Most importantly, they are very good. James Robinson is a front man that is quirky enough to catch the ear but crucially, talented enough to add that extra dimension to their well constructed songs. Think moody yet bouncy, angular structures layered with intense, brooding vocals, dressed in button up check shirts and dancing a bit like your dad. It works though, trust me.

By the time Chasing Tigers took to the stage the venue had packed out, with a good number of the audience proudly sporting Chasing Tigers T-shirts. The Norwich based band have established a strong local following and their lively indie pop/rock went down perfectly in front of the appreciative home crowd.

They look the part too: their cool confidence working in the right way to make them an endearing and eminently watchable group, with a lead singer that made a few girls in the audience weak with adoration. There is brilliant variety and texture to their music, complete with infectious guitar hooks and smooth vocals that create songs that rise and fall with delightful artistry.

The evening was another brilliant display of up and coming acts from the lively Norwich music scene and the sold out event proves just how well supported local artists are. There are audiences with a thirst for good quality new music and, fortunately, there are a whole host of bands willing to fill that demand.

Photos: Amelia Martin Photography

The Actor & The Peach – Facebook

Founders – Facebook

Affairs – Facebook

Chasing Tigers – Facebook

24/05/2012

benolive

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31