Featured Posts, Music

Live: Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs

Orlando Higginbottom, the man behind the tongue-twisting Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs (TEED), really has the golden touch when it comes to UK garage.

His debut album Trouble, released earlier this year is an example of the intelligent direction House music has been taking as of late, putting TEED in league with other artists such as Disclosure and Bondax, who are currently leading the pack.

Tracks like Tapes & Money and Your Love quickly had the crowd moving in all directions as the 90s influenced, feel-good tunes are tailor-made club bangers designed to dance to. However, it is TEED’s incorporation of other music styles into his own work that really sets him apart from standard DJs.

The subtle use of afrobeats in some songs as well as the European electro influence (a la Daft Punk and Justice) in Household Goods and the insta-classic Garden (recognizable from the Nokia advert) were received very well by the heaving mass of TEED lovers.

Supporting was Roosevelt, bringing with him his own brand of euphoric electro-pop. Though he was initially dismissed by the crowd, clearly waiting for TEED to occupy the stage, interest was soon piqued.

Beginning with recent single Sea, Roosevelt showed his ability to fuse musical styles with a mixture of funk and chill-wave.

Roosevelt’s set was unpredictable, upbeat and inspired, setting the tone for the rest of the night. It is clear why he was chosen to support TEED as both artists offer up refreshing takes on dance music.

Higginbottom’s layered, synthy beats combined with his ghostly vocals manage to sound youthful but far from amateurish, a tough balance to achieve. It’s no wonder he’s tearing it up at big name festivals such as EXIT and Bestival, as Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs is fast becoming more than just a name not everyone can say in one go, but a pioneer of the new UK House and Garage scene.

Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs – Household Goods:

23/10/2012

ayoolasolarin

123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930