Music, OldVenue

Live: Wild Beasts

Kendal based Wild Beasts have come from strength to strength since their debut album in 2008, culminating in a set’s worth of solid crowd pleasers that stunned an enthusiastic Waterfront audience.

Genre hopping Alt J kicked off the night, a compelling trip-folk band that did a great job in revving up the venue, which was almost at full capacity from the very start. Inspired by the likes of Radiohead, Elliott Smith and Lamb of God, they offer a unique amalgamation of varying sounds that did well in complimenting the Wild Beasts’ set that followed.

Wild Beasts came on stage promptly after Alt J’s departure, with a taste of their acclaimed 2011 albumSmother, starting with Bed of Nails, which was received by a wave of adrenaline and the speedy formation of several mosh pits. Hopping momentarily back to their Mercury nominated Two Dancers for a zealous We Still Got the Taste Dancin’ On Our Tongues, and back again to their latest album. It became quickly apparent after the first half dozen tracks that the band have no weaknesses on the song front; constantly inspiring a fanatic and enthusiastic response within each track’s opening notes. It’s quite something that they’ve managed to churn out three albums worth of gold in the space of just three years.

After climaxing at a fantastically performed Hooting & Howling, a somewhat orchestrated pantomime-esque show came about whereby a dumbfounded audience beckoned them back. Their return was inevitable as the tracks they were yet to perform are two of their best. Restarting with an immensely haunting Lions Share to the great delight of everyone present, leaving the ultimate culmination for the wonderfully piercing shrieks of All The Kings Men, which perfectly rounded off an astounding live set.

At the end of the gig, lead singer Hayden Thorpe made a point of noting their quick accession in popularity in the space of four years, where such venues might only half sell and festival tents weren’t received so eagerly; now they are selling out around the UK, Europe and Australia, and are in high demand at popular music festivals such as Latitude this year.

Below: Wild Beasts’ We Still Got the Taste Dancin’ On Our Tongues.

28/03/2012

aarontoumazou

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31