Featured Posts, Music

Live: Young Guns, Marmozets + We Are The In Crowd

Yorkshire band Marmozets had the unenviable task of opening the night, trying hard to get a reaction with their interesting mix of mathcore and punk.

Unfortunately the crowd didn’t seem to get it, looking uninterested for the whole set apart from one moment where a grand total of three people held lighters in the air. If Marmozets were disheartened, they didn’t show it. Even though the performance perhaps didn’t go to plan, their sound is fresh and is bound to gain them attention.

St Albans quintet Your Demise cranked up the noise with a rousing set and a strong fanbase was clearly present – the change in atmosphere was instantaneous. Aside from feebly trying to get the entire crowd to sit on the floor at one point and one of the guitarist’s bizarre habit of occasionally barking into his microphone, they proved deserving of their label as one of the best hardcore bands in the UK.

When US pop-punkers We Are The In Crowd arrive on stage, a number of sceptical-looking hardcore fans appear. It’s not long before the majority of the room bouncing to their catchy pop-punk. Thanks to Tay Jardine’s powerful voice, a hit-filled set and some incredibly catchy choruses, they might have converted the doubters.

However, the night belonged to headliners Young Guns, who proved why they’re one of the bands paving the way for UK rock music. Opening with single Dearly Departed and following it with breakthrough track Weight Of The World, they set the bar high and maintained the standard throughout.

Letting the crowd choose which song to play from their debut EP Mirrors was a nice touch (there was even a cheeky Adele cover), but the highlight was without a doubt closing track Bones, which even in the intimate setting of The Waterfront sounded as if it belonged in a stadium. With a set as good as this, it’s surely only a matter of time before Young Guns will start playing venues as big as their songs.

Bones – Young Guns

15/10/2012

yasminhoy

123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930