Fashion

Liven up for Lent

With Lent coming up, it’s that time of year when people focus on giving something up. So I’m going to tell you to just commit: Commit to a routine, to taking off your make-up, to double cleansing, and to not forgetting to moisturise your neck as well as your face. This falls perfectly into a motivational speech telling you not to give up on your New Year’s Resolution, which was only 2 months ago ergo worth sticking to. And with deadline season approaching it’s more important than ever to look after your skin as you stress about work, and drink too much alcohol to deal with the stress, and then stress some more because you shouldn’t have gone out last night. Finally, as we fall into spring all we want is clear dewy skin, and the ability to wear a lighter foundation so we don’t sweat the shit out of our Nars Sheer Glow or Revlon Colour Stay.

However, as important as that all is (and I’m not being sarcastic, I am an advocate of all of the above), my advice is to give something up for lent; to give up routine. Not a skincare routine, but the drab routine of wearing the same clothes and make-up everyday. Now, I know this isn’t the easiest thing to give up, with uni work constantly looming it is so easy to pick up the same t-shirt and jeans and wear the same make-up every day. But this constant changing is easier than you think, and might ease the monotonous routine of library, campus kitchen, bed.

Firstly, you do not have to make big changes, just try out a different lipstick every day or swap your trainers more regularly.  You don’t have to go out and spend loads of money on buying new shit; you can rummage through your wardrobe and find some oldies but goodies, swap clothes with your housemates, or go for the ever popular DIY. My final piece of advice is planning your outfit the night before, which might sound lame, but it gives you more time to cherish sleep in the morning. I understand that not everyone wants to change their style so regularly, and if that’s the case then that’s fine, just ignore everything that I’ve just said. But if you’re like me and get bored very easily, then this is a friendly reminder that it can be quite easy to get out of a routine. And you can still look after you skin for lent, as the two can work together: the more often you wash your makeup brushes, the more often you can change your eye shadow colour.

For 40 days

1. Take off your make-up

2. Double-cleanse

3. Moisturise everywhere!

4. Wear something new

5. Try a different lipstick every day

6. Go shoe adventurous

7. Find some oldies but goodies at the bottom of your wardrobe

8. DIY a piece of clothing

9. Plan your outfits the night before

10. Change your eyeshadow colour

20/03/2017

sophiechapman

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930