Norwich Labour Party retained control of Norwich City Council in last month’s elections, while Norfolk’s Independent Police and Crime Commissioner, Stephen Bett, lost his bid for re-election and was replaced by Conservative Lorne Greene.

Labour

Within Norwich, Labour gained 4 seats from the Green Party, increasing their majority on the city council. In University ward, which contains UEA,

Labour increased its vote share to 59%, while the Greens dropped to 16%, their lowest vote share since 2007. Labour gained the wards of Nelson ward (the Golden Triangle area), Town Close, Mancroft and Wensum from the Greens.

Labour also came second in the Norfolk Police and Crime Commissioner election, losing to the Conservatives by 9% in the final round.

Green Party

As well as losing four council seats within Norwich to Labour, the Greens came last in the Norfolk Police and Crime Commissioner election with 6% of the vote.

The Greens did hold onto the Norwich seat of Thorpe Hamlet, leaving them with ten seats on Norwich City Council to Labour’s 26 and the Liberal Democrats’ three.

Conservatives

The Conservatives won Norfolk’s Police and Crime Commissioner from the incumbent independent, but failed to make a predicted breakthrough within the city of Norwich, leaving them once again with zero seats on Norwich City Council.

The closest they came was in the north Norwich ward of Catton Grove, where they lost to Labour by a margin of 22%.

Liberal Democrats

The Liberal Democrats held steady in Norwich, holding onto Eaton ward with an increased majority of 32% over the Conservatives.

This leaves them with three seats on Norwich City Council. In the Police and Crime Commissioner elections across Norfolk, the Lib Dems received 8.3% of the vote, a slight increase from the 7.6% they received in 2012.

UK Independence Party

UKIP made no gains within Norwich, but came a distant second to Labour in the wards of Crome, Lakenham and Mile Cross.

Elsewhere in Norfolk, UKIP made gains in Great Yarmouth, pushing Labour into third place and emerging as the official opposition on the council. In the Norfolk Police and Crime Commissioner election, UKIP received 17% of the vote, up from 10% in 2012.