Fashion

Love Your Lips – Autumn make up trends

Autumn lips are all about being bold. From a bright coral shine for those blustery days where you want to keep it cool and cute, to the deep wine stain for the more adventurous, and finally the classic red matte that everyone should try. This season don’t be afraid to go big on the lips and keep the eyes clean.

steph online photo

Coral Gloss

Seen on: Jessica Alba, Cara Delevingne, Burberry

For those looking for a gentle refresh, a coral orange lip is an easy wear and a great update to the basic nude. Coral was a huge colour this summer and it doesn’t want to leave the party just yet. To bring it into this season tone it down by applying the colour in a lipstain, in a tangerine or orange-based shade. A tinted lipbalm is easy to put on and comes with the bonus of keeping your lips healthy when facing these winter conditions!

Lipbalm sticks or stains tend to come off as very sheer, allowing you to ease yourself into the look by building the brightness layer by layer. When layering colour on your lips, Venue recommends an initial layer of an un-tinted medical lipbalm like a chapstick. Using a cotton bud to work the balm gently into your lips before the stain is a great way to provide protection from the cold.

Red, Red Wines

Seen on: Oscar de la Renta, Miu Miu, Rihanna

As the days turn darker it means our makeup can too, so release your inner Goth with dark lip shades. Layering a darker lipstick with a sheer gloss can take the edge off, or if you want punch go for a deep liner, buffed right to the edges. Spend a bit of time finding the perfect wine colour for you.
Vera Wang and Miu Miu really set the bar with deep plum purples, and this trend looks amazing on darker skins – pale complexions should beware of blue-based purples as these will bring out the blue in your skin and leave you looking a bit ghostly. For these fairer skin tones look to Emma Watson’s wine-style lips for inspiration, while applying bronzer will help tie the look together.

Super-matte to the Rescue

Seen on: Marc by Marc Jacobs, Miley Cyrus

Our favourite trend emerging has been a smash with the fashion weeks and is remarkably easy to pull off, the key ingredient is confidence. The secret to getting a strong flash of colour is all in the liner, and lots of it. Liner can be unforgiving if you go wrong, so be careful to start small and work outwards, but when used well it’s your best friend. Under a critical eye it can balance and correct uneven lips- and mercifully it really stays put, perfect for a long evening of partying. Venue would also recommend using a bit more concealer than usual, because the bright red colour will bring attention to any other red tones on your face. Look for products with keywords such as ‘suede’ or ‘leather’, or choose from a ‘long-lasting’ range, to get the super-matte finish that looks so Hollywood. Be wary of chapped lips: this style is not forgiving so stock up on lipblams.

22/10/2013

elleywest

12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31