Lucy Rose – live

In this extraordinary and rather peculiar venue, 300 people are lucky enough to witness a fantastic performance by an artist that seems to go from strength to strength. With support from the equally impressive London-based singer-songwriter Pete Roe, the crowd knows they are in for a special night.

Lucy Rose emerges to a rapture of applause for what will be her last solo gig in Norwich this year. She begins with the song First, a slow acoustic ballad that gives the perfect vibe for the auditorium (contrary to the pre-show music played over the speakers).

It is a wonderful way to introduce her set: just her and her acoustic guitar before being joined by the rest of the band towards the end of the song. The crowd watches on in admiration as she follows this by the ever popular singles Red Face and Lines, where ex-Razorlight guitarist Bjorn Agren comes to the fore on electric guitar.

Her vocals are simply outstanding, putting the audience into a trance-like state. Highlights include Scar and Middle of the Bed, that sandwich a new song; but despite having some tuning problems nothing is taken away from a spectacular performance.

She shows a particular willingness to interact with the crowd, sharing some rather amusing anecdotes about how she was stuck in the graveyard outside the venue as the back door was locked, likening the experience to the hit 90s game show ‘The Crystal Maze’, whilst exchanging some light-hearted banter in between songs.

Photo: Callum Pawlett Howell

She has the whole crowd bobbing their heads and screaming in unison towards the end of the set with Bikes, before coming back out to perform Don’t You Worry and Be Alright as an encore. It is a performance that oozes confidence and shows so much promise for the 23-year-old who seems to appeal to a variety of people, whether it be mothers with their teenage daughters, university students or middle-aged couples.

If you ever have an opportunity to see this wonderful artist in concert, then do so, as the live experience adds so much more to what is a great debut album.

20/11/2012

georgehawesgatt

December 2021
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031