How to make your flat Christmassy on the cheap

It’s that time of year again when home comforts are missed the most and everyone is counting down the days until you can go home to Christmas dinners, brightly lit trees and presents. But why not start with decorating your student house and making it a bit more homely? It might even make deadlines a little easier to face if you have a festive set up to welcome you home from the library.

Places like Wilko and Poundland are good for colourful decorations that won’t break the bank and will add a bit of festive cheer to your living space. Grab a few lengths of tinsel and hang them over a door to add a bit of colour to your rooms or tape them around the edges of a table for something different.

If you don’t want to spend much money then why not buy a couple of rolls of wrapping paper and work with those. You can get rolls cheap from places like Primark or card shops and you can always use the leftovers to wrap your presents. Cut the paper into strips and tape them into loops in order to make a paper chain. These are good because they are quick to assemble and you can make them as long as you want to fit any space and quickly add some colour and festivity to wherever you hang them. Or if you have a blank wall in your house, why not cut out big letters out of the paper to spell a festive phrase like ‘Merry Christmas’ to welcome people into the house.

All you need is paper, scissors and folding skills to make some surprisingly intricate snowflake designs with almost no skill necessary at all. Once you’re finished, just stick them on a window to make your house look a bit more festive from the outside. You could always make some out of wrapping paper if you want to make them stand out against the dark winter nights.

You can even recycle some of your rubbish to make some free room decorations. Instead of throwing away jars once they’re empty, wash them out and make them into an ornament. Pour some salt in the bottom as fake snow and pop a tea light in there to create a cosy lantern. If you have some spare ribbon lying around, tie it around the neck of the jar to add some colour.

And finally, one of the best things about Christmas has to be the novelty chocolates. Buy a few bags of chocolate coins or chocolate Santa’s and put them on display in a bowl or basket. Not only will they decorate your room, but they’re also readily available for a quick pick me up if deadline week becomes too much.

09/12/2014

broniamcgregor