Mali Disbands Military Junta

Mali has officially dissolved its military Junta, the National Committee for the Salvation of the People (CNSP). The decision comes after five months of rule by the military junta following the removal of President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita in the August coup last year.

The National Committee for the Salvation of the People has governed Mail for five months since the coup on the 18 August 2020 which deposed President Keita. The coup was a result of weeks of anti-Keita protests caused, in part, by accusations of government corruption and the ongoing Mali War which began in 2012.  The junta has remained in control of the country despite power to an interim civilian government following the coup.

The 15-member Economic Community of the West African States (ECOWAS) has mediated Mali’s internal political struggles since the coup, placing both trade and financial embargos on the country. Sanctions were lifted in October following a transfer of power to the caretaker government intended to rule for 18 months at which point an election will be held. On 12 January the ECOWAS states recommended the dissolution of the military junta.

On Tuesday it was announced “The National Committee for the Salvation of the People (CNSP) is dissolved.” The decree was signed by the president of the transitional government President Bah Ndaw and the Prime Minister Moctar Ouane. Despite this, the military still holds significant influence within the 25-member transitional government. Several Senior Military officers will continue to hold key posts within the transitional government including the ministries of defence, security, territorial administration, and national reconciliation.

09/02/2021

Aislinn Wright

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930