Travel

Masai Mara, Kenya – my favourite place

Every week our writers will tell you their favourite place in the world. This week, Lucy Harford describes her favourite national reserve, the Masai Mara in Kenya.

Photo: Lucy Harford
Photo: Lucy Harford

The searing sun on your back, the waves of heat caressing the plains, and the chirps of birds sitting safely in the trees. Where else in the world would anyone rather be than the Masai Mara?

Between rollercoaster-like rides in a jeep on uncarved roads, the up-close encounter with a pride of lions spread out around a pond with a belly full of breakfast is breathtaking. Every stop along the rough and exciting journey leads to an insight into the daily lives of Africa’s wildlife. From cuckoos to fish eagles, the skies are almost overburdened with birds. Despite all the commotion in the sky, there’s more than enough action on land to keep your eyes busy, with herds of antelope, buffalo, zebra, giraffe and elephants (to name but a few) among the hustle and bustle at the nearest water stop. If anyone wants an adventure, you could do a lot worse than here.

05/03/2013

lucyharford

123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930