TV

On the box: Me and Mrs Jones

Not another new BBC sitcom that lacks any substance. Sadly, yes. It felt like a replacement for My Family – a safe, middle class comedy that doesn’t push boundaries but still makes watchable TV.

There is, however, no shortage of acting talent in the show. Neil Morrissey (Men Behaving Badly) and Robert Sheehan (Killing Bono, Misfits) top the list but there’s not too much for them to sink their acting teeth into here.

It’s not that they can’t act, especially given Sheehan’s amazing performance in recent BBC drama Accused. But the script fails to provide anything that would push any of the actors’ abilities. The script itself is average. The jokes are so predictable they won’t even make you inwardly smile. The unadventurous jokes don’t detract from the show as a whole because it’s that kind of show – anything other than this style would be completely out of character for a Friday night BBC sitcom.

Having said this, it is really easy to switch off brain functions and watch, or have it on as background noise. Even knowing that it’s going to be the same, week in week out, it’s good for a Friday after a week of working when you really don’t want complex wit or puns.

Catch Me and Mrs Jones on BBC 1 at 9.30pm on Friday, first two episodes on iPlayer now.

23/10/2012

adamdawson

1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031