Men’s fencing overcome tough Staffordshire opposition

In the last BUCS game of the season the UEA men’s fencing team took on Staffordshire at the SportsPark, resulting in a 119-108 victory for the UEA team after a close match.

Untitled-5

First on was the épée team, who got off to a terrific start. With a combined effort of all the team members, UEA secured a 10 point lead after the first three bouts. As a result, the visitors from Staffordshire were forced to play catch up for the remainder of the round.

However, in the last series of the épée bouts, Staffordshire managed to pick up some essential points against the UEA team, who kept their lead for the remainder of the round. The final score for the épée round was 45-35 to UEA.

The UEA foil team put on a splendid performance, despite harsh resistance from the Staffordshire team and enduring some serious weapon issues. This resulted in one foil having to be shared by the entire team.

The round was close until UEA caught a break with two bouts gaining vital points, by the hands of Nathan Gull and Adam Ahmet. The round remained close until Théo pulled away for the UEA lead in his last bout, securing UEA victory in the foil, with 45-28.

In the sabre Staffordshire showed off harsh resistance setting UEA back 10 points directly after two perfect bouts by the opposition. Li Chun Hong showcased some exquisite sabre fencing, making a UEA victory still possible.

This was followed by an excellent performance by Luke Baxter who gained the team a few more points towards victory. Despite good efforts being put in the sabre was lost at 29-45 to Staffordshire, however the match was won as a whole, with the final score being 119-108 to UEA, who thus earned a second placed finish in the BUCS league, after leaders Oxford.

11/03/2014

ottobillstrom

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930