Men’s Football take superb early win

UEA FC earned victory in their first BUCS game of the season following an impressive first half display.

UEA dominated the first half and had a commanding 3-0 lead at half time. However, despite netting twice in the second half, UEA allowed Derby back into the game to score twice.

UEA opened the scoring early in the first half, breaking swiftly from a Derby corner, left winger Nacer Rerizani easily beat Derby’s right back and squared for striker Luke Blackwell to score.

UEA continued brightly and came close to doubling their lead after a crunching foul on UEA’s left back. From the resultant free kick, Taylor Hasting’s curving effort shaved the outside of the Derby woodwork.

It was soon two, as Rerizani proved too fast for the struggling Derby right back. Rezirani’s well placed cross was fumbled by the Keeper allowing Simon Beeson to double the home side’s lead.

Derby were looking disorganised at the back as UEA took further advantage from a corner to extend their lead. With Derby unable to clear their lines, Hasting swooped in to give UEA a deserved 3-0 lead at half time.

At the start of the second period, UEA again looked adventurous, keeping possession well and testing a flagging Derby side. It wasn’t before long that Derby were once again exposed. A long ball over the top allowed Blackwell to delightfully chip the ball over an advancing Derby keeper.

However, despite UEA’s dominance, a rare Derby attack saw the away side grab a goal back. Following a strong and determined run in to the box, Derby’s right winger squared the ball allowing their target man to finish neatly in the bottom corner.

This seemed to revitalize Derby, who scored again quickly. Picking up the ball on the edge of the area, Derby’s left back cut inside before curling the ball in to the far corner. Suddenly UEA found themselves in a contest, with Derby creating more clear cut chances.

Another Derby attack saw the referee give a dubious penalty for a push in the back on the away side’s winger. However, UEA ‘keeper Charlie Savage pulled off a fine save down to his left from the spot kick.

Savage’s save prompted a resurgence, Blackwell who lead the line brilliantly all game was again sent through over the top. His composed finish across the Derby keeper essentially put the game to bed at 5-2 to UEA.

However, this didn’t stop the game from ending on a sour note. Following an unnecessary yellow card for UEA, the Derby right back would be sent off for a petulant kick off the ball.

23/10/2012

thomasritchie

123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
282930