Superb season of success for Men’s Football

The UEA men’s football team are on course for one of their most successful seasons ever, as they head into the business end of the year.

SONY DSCPhoto: Ga Chun Yau

All three of the squads are in contention for silverware over the coming weeks, hoping to add to the two league titles already secured with games to spare.

Despite narrowly missing out on winning BUCS Midlands Division 2B in the last game of the season, the first team need just three points from their final five games to clinch the Anglian Combination third division championship. What makes this feat even more impressive is that the team are yet to lose a match in the league, dropping just four points in 21 games so far.

The second team went one further than their counterparts in BUCS Midlands Division 4B, winning their final match of the season to secure the title and the subsequent promotion that goes with it. The second team lost just twice all season in the league, securing the title with a three-point margin over second-placed Cambridge II.

Similar success has followed in their Saturday league, where a cup final awaits the squad on 9 May at the Norfolk Football Association’s Football Development Centre, as they look to build upon a reputable league finish. Likewise, the third team have continued the trend in the cup, and are in the semi-final of their respective competition after already claiming the league title, which was clinched over a month ago.

President of the club, Simon Beeson, has attributed the accomplishments on field to the dedication that has been notable away from the regular match days.

He said: “credit must be given to our great committee for all their hard work, especially our five captains as well as our secretary, Kavi Luchowa, who has had to organise over 70 games this season.”

By the end of this season, the club could have collectively amassed five trophies throughout all three teams, comfortably beating the total last year of just a solitary cup win.

The work by the whole football team during this academic year has not gone unnoticed by the vast majority at UEA and, with the new committee selected for next season, the hard work has already begun in trying to emulate the trophy-filled achievements of the current group of stars in what has already been one of their most successful seasons in recent memory.

23/04/2013

charliesavage

12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930